about.jpg

About

Joshua was organized in 1881 after the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad staked its claim in the area. Dr. D.B. McMillan reportedly named the Town of Joshua after the biblical character of the same name. By 1890, the town’s first newspaper, the Johnson County Record, was in print and a one-room schoolhouse opened which later became Joshua High School.

By the early 1900’s the community continued to grow, despite major fires that destroyed much of the area. Businesses moved to the area, a public water system was installed, and Joshua became a stop on the Fort Worth South Traction Line, which traveled between Fort Worth and Cleburne.

Joshua was incorporated in the mid-1950’s and Ted Strube served as the first mayor. Joshua’s population fluctuated between the 1950’s and 1970’s, but by the year 2000, its population was over 4,500. Several manufacturers have located their businesses in Joshua due to its proximity to Fort Worth. Joshua continues to grow as more people move away from the fast-paced lifestyle of the Metroplex in favor of Joshua’s laid back country feel.